After our visit to Srinagar, our next stop was Pahalgam, the valley of shepherds. We hired a Innova from Srinagar to Pahalgam to drop us at the hotel. On the way to Pahalgam, we stopped at the Apple Orchards. Omg! the whole orchard was in golden color and Apples falling off the tree even with just a push on the bark. You would have the juiciest and the yummiest apples you would ever have in your life, I promise!! In Pahalgam, we stayed at the Kolahoi Green Resorts(Review coming soon!) In one sentence, lovely place, awesome food, great service but out of the city. If you again love serene scenes, this is apt!
Pahalgam is very famous for its picturesque beauty which looks just out of a postcard.This hill station is surrounded by alpine peaks, deep-cut valleys and giant conifers. This is the base for the Amarnath Yatra as well. In the lap of nature, breathing fresh air, you can enjoy Pahalgam at your own pace. No hurry! The perfect place to unwind and have quality time with your family/friends. We covered the Aru Valley, Betaab Valley and wanted to do Baisaran, but unfortunately I fell sick and couldn’t cover that! But heard its a tough path to take on the pony but gorgeous views which makes it all worth it! On one of the evenings in Pahalgam, we just stopped by the banks of river Lidder and had our lil picnic there 🙂 The sounds of water flowing, the calm chill breeze on your face, the view infront, goshh!! I can remember how peaceful i felt at that very moment 🙂 We just sat for hours talking and appreciating the moment we were in!
Now comes the disclaimer. Pony owners here would be really troublesome, I tell you. They force, compel, coax, persuade you to take their ponies. If you want to take one, make sure you bargain, bargain and bargain as they quote some really high prices! So know the distances from your hotel to the places you want to go to and also do some basic googling on how much is a reasonable price to pay for the pony. If you want to take a taxi to visit, Beetab valley, chandanwari etc, go to the Govt. Taxi stand and there is a standard rate card. Apart from some of these pony guys, everybody out there is so welcoming and nice 🙂
- The way to Aru valley is very scenic. small cottages amidst the green meadows. Aru valley is home to many Bollywood movies like Jab tak hai Jaan, Highway etc etc. You can either hike up the valley if you are fit enough or take a pony(But remember, Bargain!)
- Betaab valley is a huge place with again some great views. You have to take an entry ticket to venture in. If you are planning this trip with your family with kids or elder people, pack your picnic basket, good camera and just have a quality time in here 🙂
- Do visit Baisaran for its gorgeous views. Taking pony is the only way to reach there. So make sure you fix up a good deal!
- For adrenaline junkies, river rafting is a famous activity in here, so plan your trip according to when its available. You also have great spots for trekking as well! So do your research in advance.
- Daana Pani in the town serves some good vegetarian food. We had all our lunches in there and dinners at our resort. So when booking the resort also check for the food reviews as you might not get to venture out for food options after its dark.
You can read about our Srinagar travel post HERE. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more updates 🙂 See you soon with another travel post. Take care, Much love :*